BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

8.07.2009

A Flukey Scare...

So...at one of my doctor appointments in July, my doctor told me that my amniotic fluid level was a little on the lower side (oligohydramnios) and that she wanted me to have another sono in less than a week to make sure it wasn't going down. She said I would see one of her partners that next week because she would be out and that if my water level was lower (I started to feel as if we were talking about a car after awhile) we would probably have to deliver the baby.

I fretted about this for 5 days and drank, drank, drank over 100 ounces of water a day since she stressed the "staying hydrated." Mainly I fretted because Mike was taking the FIRST of THREE days of the BAR EXAM and WHAT IF they decided to take the girl then (who has decided to remain in a frank breech position with her feet in her face, by the way)???

So...I had the sono first. Now, the sono tech isn't what we would call "warm and fuzzy." She is more what I would call "flat and technical." So she remeasured water and said flatly: "Well, it IS lower. Quite a bit. Which doctor are you seeing so that I can let them know?"

This was enough to put me over the edge so I held it together until she left the room and then began my freaking out and attempts at not crying. So, I did this in the waiting room for about 10 minutes, getting all worked up and that's when they brought me back to take my blood pressure. This has been very normal all along and I knew this wasn't going to go well. Sure enough, it was sky high (of course!!!) and so that and the low water level prompted them to put me in the hospital for 24 hour observation.

I couldn't get a hold of anyone at the moment except Allison and what could she do from Round Rock besides keeping me from freaking out even more? Later, my mom called and came down and Mike called after he got out of the Bar the first day. He hung out with me that afternoon until mom came and then he went home. Mom spent the night on the mini pull out couch where we thought she wouldn't sleep...but sleep she did, not even the clanking of me dragging the IV to the bathroom 3 times in the night would wake that sleeping bear...amazing.

Everything was fine. They put 3 bags of IV fluid in me and blood pressure was normal everytime it was taken. The water level was remeasured again the next morning by a neonatologist and again at a recheck 3 days later in the doctor office and it continues to go up and be in the normal range. I even got to go back to work! (I am grateful for this so I can have more time after she is here.)

So all is well. I go to work. Come home. Drink lots of water. And stare at my giant GIANT cankles (I can't wait until these are gone...I should upload a pic of these for your enjoyment).

11 more days until we have a baby! Weird! I hope she makes it to the 19th! Restaurant week is that week and we have to make our Abacus reservation on the 18th! Hang on Baby Girl...then again, it sure is getting uncomfortable since she's all up in my ribs.......

0 comments: