I first received word of a job offer from Munsch Hardt in August 2008. Actually, Lisa and I were vacationing in Palm Springs (following Las Vegas), and I believe we were actually poolside when I received the very welcome phone call. I was set to start with the firm in September 2009, after graduating and taking the Bar.
The first weekend of June 2009, we were heading to Oklahoma, making a visit to Lisa's cousin Corey and his wife Kami. While headed north, I received a phone call from Munsch Hardt, and this time it wasn't so good. In short, Munsch Hardt would be delaying my start date until January 2010, and it didn't seem there were any guarantees even about that date. As many of you know, Lisa and I are both big "planners," with timelines set for accomplishing our various goals in life. The main goal this news deferred was our purchasing a house in the fall of 2009. But the most important thing in our life was Lisa's pregnancy--already 6+ months along. We had hoped and expected that she would have the option of returning to work full-time, part-time, or not at all after Zoe's birth. Now it seemed a lock that she'd need to go back full-time, if only to maintain our insurance coverage.
As the summer rolled on and I studied for the Bar, my fall employment options had not brightened. I had maintained my part-time job with HKS, but there was little possibility that I'd have a full-time position by the time Zoe was born and/or Lisa would have to return to work. So there it was: I'd be a stay-at-home dad at least part-time--an option we really hadn't considered until then.
Fast forward to now. We have a 5-month old daughter, and I've spent many weekdays taking care of her--feeding her, changing her, playing with her, reading to her. Before Zoe was born, I always agreed when others said to me, "Well, enjoy this time with your daughter. Not many dads get that chance." In the back of my mind, however, I just wanted to get to work--that's what I was "supposed" to do for our family, and I had truly been looking forward to it. But now I can say that I'm really going to miss being a stay-at-home dad. I already think about Zoe those days that I work for HKS, and my time with her will now decrease even more.
But I don't want this to be a sad post. I just want to say to Zoe . . . I really enjoyed my time with you! It was very fun getting to know you and seeing your wide smile every day. The time we spent together is something I'll treasure for the rest of my life. We'll have to get used to this new schedule, but I won't love you any less--in fact, I'll love you more!
The first weekend of June 2009, we were heading to Oklahoma, making a visit to Lisa's cousin Corey and his wife Kami. While headed north, I received a phone call from Munsch Hardt, and this time it wasn't so good. In short, Munsch Hardt would be delaying my start date until January 2010, and it didn't seem there were any guarantees even about that date. As many of you know, Lisa and I are both big "planners," with timelines set for accomplishing our various goals in life. The main goal this news deferred was our purchasing a house in the fall of 2009. But the most important thing in our life was Lisa's pregnancy--already 6+ months along. We had hoped and expected that she would have the option of returning to work full-time, part-time, or not at all after Zoe's birth. Now it seemed a lock that she'd need to go back full-time, if only to maintain our insurance coverage.
As the summer rolled on and I studied for the Bar, my fall employment options had not brightened. I had maintained my part-time job with HKS, but there was little possibility that I'd have a full-time position by the time Zoe was born and/or Lisa would have to return to work. So there it was: I'd be a stay-at-home dad at least part-time--an option we really hadn't considered until then.
Fast forward to now. We have a 5-month old daughter, and I've spent many weekdays taking care of her--feeding her, changing her, playing with her, reading to her. Before Zoe was born, I always agreed when others said to me, "Well, enjoy this time with your daughter. Not many dads get that chance." In the back of my mind, however, I just wanted to get to work--that's what I was "supposed" to do for our family, and I had truly been looking forward to it. But now I can say that I'm really going to miss being a stay-at-home dad. I already think about Zoe those days that I work for HKS, and my time with her will now decrease even more.
But I don't want this to be a sad post. I just want to say to Zoe . . . I really enjoyed my time with you! It was very fun getting to know you and seeing your wide smile every day. The time we spent together is something I'll treasure for the rest of my life. We'll have to get used to this new schedule, but I won't love you any less--in fact, I'll love you more!
And to the dads out there . . . If you ever find yourself in circumstances similar to mine, you'll love the time you get to spend with your child, no matter how great your "need" to work. Look forward to the opportunity, and cherish every day.
2 comments:
This is one of the sweetest things I've read in awhile!!! Wonderful how you got to spend that time with Zoe --- and even more wonderful that you actually appreciated and enjoyed that time instead of being bitter about your circumstances. Lisa & I are two lucky gals to have such great men in our lives -- and such great dads.
What an amazing experience for you. You will always feel blessed by that special time that you spent with Zoe.
Post a Comment