I know that I am no civil engineer (but my husband was, once upon a time) but I consider myself to have [some] common sense. On that note, it has always interested me to know how the great state of Texas' road fixing people decide which road to fix next.
The other day, I was on the way to Grapevine and braced myself for the trip along Northwest Highway and Mockingbird because I know this is like a free roller coaster ride - one which can even cause my rear to lift OFF the seat. I even think, I hope shaken baby syndrome can't occur with these pot holey roads!
But then I get to 114 where I know it will be smooth highway driving and it was...Actually, it was especially smooth that day because there was new asphalt poured! What? That road was fine! Narry a crack or divet! But this was the road they wanted to repair? Good work, Texas...My brain was jostled around in my head and insides felt like I had run a marathon all the way up to the highway. But then a beautifully smooth road redone to be........beautifully smooth. Those tax dollars were allocated well. And this is just another reason why these things would be fixed if I were in charge of the world.
In fact, when Mike was in law school, he would read me these interesting cases which were always difficult to assess and determine outcomes (in law world). But when he read me the case, I ALWAYS had the answer! Mike would try and explain to me why it was more complicated than my knee jerk answer in his legalese terms and why it was such a gray matter and that was why it was being discussed in class. But, to me, it was always clear-cut! Mike would always ask what was "right" and I would tell him my answer. He asked how I knew it was "right" and I would give an answer and he would ask for a reason to back that reason but it would eventually boil down to "Because I know that is what is right." Mike would ask if I could see how a judge or jury could go the other way. No. I can't. Because I am right. And again, I should be in charge of the world.

0 comments:
Post a Comment