BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

11.10.2008

Peng

So I wanted to give you a little taste of the wonderful personality of Dr. Peng. First of all, he's asian (in case you hadn't already made that assumption). So, he gets a "cultural strike 1" on his communication style. I have a friend that is also going to this doctor so it always comforts (and makes me giggle) to share Peng communication stories.

First, he has a very intense stare. He also has a chinese accent though it also sounds as if his nose were blocked. He tries to do all the appropriate customary niceities that one is supposed to do (like shaking your hand) but it all is tinged with a shade of awkwardness. Plain and simply, Peng is a nerd. Now, this is ok with me because I also can tell that he is incredibly smart (and rated one of the 4 best infertility doctors in DFW by D Magazine - clearly not based on communication style) and Mike and I want smart nerd doctors making our babies - it just seems to make sense. So, we deal with this communication pitfall.

So when Peng wants to tell you something, he almost sets it up like it is going to crumble you to the floor. I understand that he is in a tough position and that many people probably crumble to his floor in his office on a weekly basis.

But, he says something like, "Now. Lisa. I want to tell you. I got your (no phonated "r") blood work (again, "r" not pronounced). Your FSH level is a little high." Then a stare and waiting.

I say "OK........"

He continues: "OK?" Stare.

Me: OK. What does that mean?

Peng: Well, your level is 11.3

Me: What does that mean? What is normal?

Peng: Normal is anything under 10.

Me: So 9.9 is just as good as 3?

Peng: Chuckle. Stare.

Me: (rephrasing) Is 11.3 just a little high?

Peng: I am just reporting the facts. It is a little high. But is is ok. You are young.

Me: So you are telling me my level is high and it is ok to be high?

Peng: Lisa, I report facts. You are young. This is very good. Age is number 1 factor. FSH is a secondary indicator.

Me: Exhale. So I should feel ok about this?

Peng: Well, you may have to take more drugs. It will probably be ok. Stare. Do you have any questions?

At this point, I feel as if I have a handle on the situation and he is asking the obligatory nice american doctor question. So I was a little bummed but more intrigued by just how the mechanics of this converstaion actually went down.

Here is one more example of nerdy Peng:

Mike and I are in the office asking a couple follow up questions after our hour and a half long drug/injection lesson from the nurse. We went into his office because I just wanted to ask a couple of questions that the nurse wanted him to answer. One question I asked was in the beginning:

Lisa: Not that I drink much but when should I stop drinking alcohol, today or when I start the first injection? I don't really care when you tell me to stop; I probably won't even miss it (i am saying this so that he knows he is allowed to give me a conservative answer without me crumbling to the ground)

Mike: (making a joke) You remember that, Dr. Peng! You can be my witness when, in 8 months from now, she is really wanting a glass of wine or a margarita!

Peng: uncomfortable chickle

10 more minutes go by of other questions and discussions. As we were walking out the door, Peng says: Mike, I am just telling you. I don't know if I will remember.

Mike: confused stare

Peng: You know. About the alcohol. You may have to find someone else to remember because I might forget. You know, I have a lot of other stuff to remember.

Mike: Oh....yea....laugh...that's ok. You just remember the important things to make our babies. You don't have to remember that.

So, you get the idea. Smart. Exacting. Anal. Loyal. Nerd. All in all, I'd say that's a good baby-makin' man.

On another note, I started the oral steroids and Lupron, the first injectable this morning that I put in the subcutaneous stomach tissue (AKA tummy fat roll). Not too bad so far. No bruising. The needle doesn't hurt but the meds sting a little. Then it was itchy. As for a bonus for me, oral steroids help my severe eczema (as for a downer, they also make you fat and puffy-I hope we won't be revisiting body o' Lisa circa 2004. Boo.)

0 comments: