BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

11.28.2008

My (Lack of) Calendar Control


So I had TVU #5 today. Just another day, really. I mean, I just plop down (with perfect paper towel/blanket placement) and get ready. Apparently I have 6 follicles that are really good right now and 4 others that may or may not be big enough to remove. A follicle, it was explained to me, is a house for the egg. The egg is actaully inside. So, they can't see the egg-just the follicle. Then they hope there is a good egg inside. To me, it looks like a closeup of an eye before they pan out and you see a giant scary monster, like in a horror movie. Either way, I was a little bummed that there were only 6. They tell me this is very normal and good but somehow I got it in my head (perhaps reading on the internet???) that I would have between 10-15 follicles. So, I guess I had set myself up for that. So, if they only get out 6 follicles and we assume that there are 6 good eggs in the follicles, they will then fertilize all of them. Then, they call the next day to tell me how many fertilized. So if only 4 fertilize, the other 2 are gone. On day 3, they open the incubator again to see what's up. Some may have stopped progression in which case they are probably also goners. So you can see that I could have anywhere from 1-6 good embryos. Let's pray for 6. I have another doctor's appointment on Monday for another bloodwork/TVU to see if I am ready for the "trigger shot" to trigger ovulation exactly 35 hours before retrieval of the eggs. He thinks the trigger shot will probably be given Monday or Tuesday night meaning the retrieval will be done on Wednesday or Thursday morning. In my world of trying to exert control over all things around me, I am going to ask if I can push the trigger shot to Wednesday, thus making egg retrieval on Friday and egg transfer 5 days later on Wednesday, thus being the perfect days for the least amount of work missed and still being able to recover. It's hard not to put things on a calendar when I want to!

0 comments: